You are assigned to care for Mr. Charles 78 years old, who had a fall and his pelvis was fractured. Now he is recovering from hip surgery. He is confined to bed with a condom catheter. He is incontinent of urine and stool. While you give him a bed bath and back massage, you notice that the client has a reddened skin around his coccyx region. When you apply pressure, it does not return to its natural color.
Answer the following questions based on your module understanding and the scenario given:
- What stage of pressure ulcer does Mr. Charles have? And what is your
Immediate action ? (2 Marks)
- What are the risk factors for pressure ulcer for Charles? (2 Marks)
3. What action can you take to prevent future pressure ulcers for Charles? (1Marks)
4. What are the devices normally used for preventing pressure ulcers? (1 Mark)
- As a PSW, applying a condom catheter is under your scope of practice.
What are the infection control techniques that you will carry out for
this procedure? (2Marks)
6. How will you apply elastic tape for a condom catheter? (1Mark)
- Give 3 different names for the process of emptying urine from the bladder?
8. What is the amount of urine a healthy adult excretes a day? (1Mark)
- Mr. Charles complained of difficulty in urination and his urine output for 24 hours is 475ml and it contains blood. What is the term for the scant amount of urine? (3Marks)
- What is the term used for blood in urine?
- What do you mean by dysuria?
- Pain or discomfort when passing urine. It can also be described as a burning sensation during urination.
- What is meant by urinary incontinence?
- The inability to have voluntary control of the bladder
- Mr. Charles has not had a bowel movement since the last 3 days and he
complains of feeling bloated. (2 Marks)
- What are the common causes for constipation?
- Reduced movement of the patient(bedridden)
- Drug induced constipation example of drugs opioids
- What is the best position for giving enemas?
- Left lateral position with knees drawn to the abdomen to facilitate ease of access for the enemax to the rectum
- When you are making Charles’ bed, what are the guidelines that you
will follow? (2 Marks)
- The bed linens should be straight free from creases and crumps and with necessary accessories for patient comfort.
- What is the term for making the bed while the patient remains in bed?
- Occupied bed making
- How will you give perineal care for Charles?
- Use a basin with clean warm water and 2 wash clothes
- Patient in supine position, put a protective clock.
- Cleaning done from front to back finishing with the anus
- Expose the fore skin and clean the shaft together with the scrotum
- Dry the patient and apply oil with focus on pressure area
- Change garments and leave the patient dry
- Perineal care should done after every bowel